Monday, October 15, 2007

Hadrian's Wall Hike, Day 3, Part 1-July 28

Tall Trees B&B owners, Liz and George, see me off after fortifying me with a HUGE English breakfast featuring George's wonderful homemade bread and jam. I'm tempted to stay here and finish my vacation eating and listening to George's erudite discussions about Hadrian Wall history, local wildlife and ecology, and local brews (real ale). Liz and George are warm, outstanding hosts. George drives me to the trail start, explains some of the nuances of ancient English-Roman economy along Hadrian's Wall, and bids me farewell. Heading west. This is a good view of the Wall and landscape.
Still looking west. This is my artsy-craftsy attempt at a Wall closeup and trail.
This is Regina. She is one-half of the Dutch couple I met the first day of the hike at Fellcroft B&B in Corbridge.
This is Bert-- the other half of the Dutch couple. Great people. Their dog Belle walked the Wall with them from Corbridge to Carlisle. Belle is a wonderful example of the Dutch breed Drentse Parijshond. Bert tells me "Drentse" is an eastern Dutch province, "Parijs" translates as "partridge" and "hond" as "hound."

No comments: