Saturday, September 5, 2009

Ride To Conquer Cancer, Training Progress, Part 51

I bike 36 miles this beautiful Fall-like day. I take East Honaker Road to Graves Road to Locust Fork Road. These first two pics are of an abandoned home at Graves and Locust Fork roads near Stamping Ground. The mailbox introduces and emphasizes the abandonness of the home. Sue W. of Salt-Rising Bread fame tells me that the home was owned by a lady whose mission in life was to empower black women. She says there are plans for the property.

This robust and handsome Michigander must have taken a wrong turn in Toledo. Photo tilt provided by mailbox cum camera platform.

The history lesson continues as I pedal south down Locust Fork into Stamping Ground.

Bet you can't guess the significance of this field along Locust Fork Road. I know only because I ask Stacy who lives next door to the field. It's a croquet field complete with lights and was a venue for tournament play. Stacy tells me recently-deceased local resident and former field owner, Art Burtfield (?), was an American champion.

When I breeze into Stamping Ground I see Jackie and Sue W., the Salt-Rising Bread people, and Charlotte selling their goods at the farmer's market. Jackie explains the history of Stamping Ground. He surprises me when he says Stamping Ground some years ago had a Ford dealership, theater and three grocery stores. However, the 1974 tornado changed the face and economic activity of Stamping Ground. Sue says I can fill my water bottles at her bakery down the road. Charlotte stuffs my ditty bag with Green Peppers.

My vital stats from my bike computer: Speed (13.3 mph avg., 33.3 mph max.); Heart (124 bpm avg., 156 bpm max.); and Cadence (79 revolutions per minute avg., 199 revolutions per minute max.). I burn 948 calories. Actual pedal time is 2 hours, 44 minutes.

No comments: