Saturday, July 4, 2009

Ride To Conquer Cancer, Training Progress, Part 19

No, that's not me. And no, it's not Nicholas. That's Lance my old biking buddy. I taught him everything I know. World's quickest lesson, don't ya know. Tour de France starts today. Hope to see some of it.

Nicholas and I rode yesterday evening, July 3, down Rogers Gap to Double Culvert to Luke to Hinton Sadieville and back. A total of 20.5 miles. It was Nicholas' first time on Hinton Sadieville Road. We set a record top speed of 42.9 mph descending Hinton Sadieville. Wow! I like speed. What a rush! My knee continues intermittently to ache and tighten up even with the seat set back. I particularly notice the discomfort after we do a sustained sprint along Double Culvert on our return trip. We lose track of time and are riding in the dark. It's 9:40 PM when we get back to the truck.

I'm really impressed with Nicholas' hill-climbing ability. He stands up in the bike and really powers up steep grades. He says he feels the burn in his legs but forces his body through the climb. Me? Hills I was able to power up before the May 28 accident are now occasions to take short walks. No matter, I'll be back in shape before the September bike event.

We meet a Boxer (dog) while returning on Luke. I give him some Pig Skull beef jerky. We are friends for life now.

Happy 4th everyone.

No comments: